Dad was feeling kinda weak sauce all day, so i scrapped plans of heading out to Palo Alto with the boys, and just stayed home to make sure he'd be alright. I was bummed i couldn't head out, but i got a nice little blessing in disguise i'd say. I figured i'd just keep working on makin some music, being productive, while hopefully givin pop a little piece of mind that i was around. I have no clue with anything piano and keyboard so i've been reading this little book "Play Piano in a Flash" that I got on clearance from Barnes and Noble, to help me learn a little and move me from totally incompetent about piano and the keys to just pretty much incompetent.

While reading there was a little passage that Scott Houston writes about how many jazz greats made their music through the mantra "less is more". Where everything doesn't need to be of the highest technical quality and is trying to impress the listener at every step. It's something i'm trying to balance being completely new to making beats. But I found this one little guitar rift and it struck a chord in me, and I added some drums to it, and a little effect, and it clicked. It really doesn't sound like too much is going on, but I connected to it, the pacing, the rift, the way it made my head bob, how it made me even bust a little shoulder shimmy, and the way it felt right to me all together. I'll add a couple more things but not change it too much for the most part. I decided that this was gonna be the first beat i've made that I'm gonna record on, and even started writing on it a bit. Here it is, hopefully it'll be a track in the next couple weeks!


makeityourown

3 comments:

SuJ said...

ok, so i really like it.

Peter said...

dude no way... PIANO in a flash!! I can't even count how many times i've watched this infomercial on PBS. Such a legit product since most people that want to play music don't do it to recite classical songs.

keep rockin it.
less is more.
the simple melodies seem to be the ones get etched it my mind forever.

Meerror said...

Ey Ray Ray! I FINALLY finished my first post! AHH. But reading your post and being reminded me of all our struggles was definately the eye opener I needed... thanks! great song by the way!!!!!!!