In making a couple tracks lately, I've really been thinking about the implications of sharing my life and feelings and experiences to an unknown audience. I especially started thinking about it when I actually sang on the track we just finished recording. When i hear myself I feel like all i can do is squirm and cringe, yet, to me there's a sense of accomplishment in it, and a satisfaction and contentment in some way making my life relevant in the big scheme of things I guess. But either way the process itself has taught me so much and has really shown me how I knew didley squat about making tracks.

When i started working with DL he told me, "You know what Ray, you can freestyle, but freestyling and making tracks are completely different things". I remember thinking in my head, how could this be possibly hard, I freestyle, I practice at it a lot, I write, and I can express myself pretty well, so it can't be. Well, let's just say DL was right, the first track Personal to Universal actually took about 8 hours to finish. Haha, man there was so much about fitting syllables in, breath control at the right times, line structure, intonation, a bunch more little things that I had failed to account for. But i'm glad I had that awakening that really made me feel like an amateur, to make me see that it is hard work, but its hard work i wanna do and really make and create something from life's journey.

I felt like writing a little something as DL will prob finish mastering the new track down within the next couple days, and I just wanted to share a little about the process. But when it's done check it out, and let me know what you think!

1 comments:

Peter said...

remix hotel is coming up if you want to learn more about production.
http://remixmag.com/remixhotel/schedule/

sign up is free (timbaland's ghost producer will be there) and i know you're not really into mainstream. haha.

keep at it
p