Recently for work i've been working a day camp at an elementary school, and working it, I've been completely re-exposed to school yard politics, antics, and boundless amounts of energy. So many of kids that I've built relationships with in the past week and a half are such a trip to me. On one hand, when I interact and play with them, their attention is completely and solely focused on playing with me and having my undivided attention and making sure I can play in the way that I want. Then on the other hand, you see that when they find something else that captures their interest like some other kid with the newest pokemon cards, a kid with a 4square ball, or a kid with a world stopping scrumptious snack, they instantly forget you and are warped into that new world that consumes their whole being.

I always thought it was so interesting, the phenomenon that children have the single focus of reacting to their stimulus' and chasing it down with tremendous passion and determination. I thought of ways to describe it and thought of ways define in a way to myself that made sense but i really couldn't. I couldn't say it was a young child's selfishness, cause I know if they knew any better they wouldn't react with such tunnel vision. But then my boss Brett put it in the perfect words for me. "Kids are the living definition of living in the moment". Exactly.

It got me thinking about these days in my life, that the times I enjoy the most and relax the most, are the ones when I don't over think, and over analyze issues to the point where I just psyche myself out. I think this day in age people don't allow themselves anymore the chance to live in the moment and focus solely on the activity at hand in the moment, without looking ahead to whats next schedule. It's something I plan on doing more, and I'm just glad I got the kids around me to teach me that.

Finally, I wanna talk about one the kids at the camp that has stuck out and struck me, his name is: Han Soo. He's a small korean boy in the second grade, who when I first saw, I right away knew had an ailment or condition. I think he has a form of Aloepecia, as he has very thin sparing hair, and very distinct features, with almond shaped squinted eyes, a thin pointy nose and a "prominent cranium" much like the dome I possess. He looks very much like a little old man in a way. So with his physical features he already stands out very much. I figured that considering the way elementary school kids were H.S was going to be targeted or maybe teased and I was a little worried about it, and made sure I kept an extra eye on him.


Just watching him work in the playground truly truly brought me great joy and gave me a shot of optimism. H.S's english is a bit broken with a heavy korean accent, and he speaks in fragments, and the rest of the time he's running around, jumping, grunting, chasing balls, screaming, and falling down on purpose to entertain kids, and laughing wildly. He also has this gift of being supremely content with playing by himself and a soccer ball, but also being able to float from crowd to crowd and joining in seamlessly. I know that in observing him that he is cognisant of his condition and differences from other children, but in him I see a small genius that uses those differences to make other kids laugh and keep them entertained. In return, so many children endear themselves to him and approach him with bright sincere smiles emphasizing that they really enjoy his presence, a sincerity that many children do not extend to each other. During lunch H.S told me that he was from North Korea, and that he came from there not too long ago. That's when I started thinking about everything i've heard and researched about North korea, about its strict government rule, to human rights tragedies, the laundry list of attrocities. Now I know all aren't subject to these but to still see a young boy come from a COMPLETELY different life and culture, and to be able to come to the other side of the world, assimilate, and let his light shine enough to brighten some other kids' lives, is truly amazing, given the circumstances of his life. It invigorates me with hope, encourages me, and motivates far more than that kid will ever know, Thanks Han Soo.

I'm just glad I got the kids around me to teach me that.

2 comments:

Tikko Studios said...

ray ray! great hearing from you man. Thanks for the love, really appreciate it. Didn't even kno you were on blogger till now, but I will be definitely checkin in more often. Hows life at home?

Louis

Phil said...

Damn man,

that last paragraph got to me. makes me wonder how many lucky families are able to escape the horrible atrocities of n. korea. i'm glad the kid's given you hope. it's really cool cause kids definitely make life simpler. i believe it is in their innocence, naivete, and untainted youth that makes us nostalgic and seek that incredible phenomenon.