throughout this trip I know i'll be brimming with thoughts and contemplations and when i start writing a blog they'll all be rushing and fighting to get out of my head so i'm gonna write in more of a brief style and elaborate more later on. 


We drove into marfa, which is in the middle of nowhere in west texas, but is interesting because the town has a big portion of artists that have come to the town so there are art galleries and book shops, art culture, mixed in with the good ol small town vibe with friendly Texas locals. I'm pretty amped for being in Texas for the first time in my life. 

When we got into last night, the town was definitely eerie to me, because of being somewhere completely new, and not beinf familiar with my surroundings. So when the girls went into a gallery opening party I decided to head back to the RV to rest up, haha, that was a funny decision. For awhile i was just in the dark in the RV not being able to turn on the power, and pretty sure i was going to turn into a helpless horror movie character at some point. eventually I went to sleep in the back, and woke up to banging on the front glass, of a policeman asking me to move the RV. 

I moved the RV and found the girls walking back then we headed to the Marfa Mystery Lights, an area where lights are on the horizon that dance and weave and go in and out but are unexplained. Look em up online, pretty crazy captivating stuff.

This morning I went to church at St. Mary's, and it was cool to see that even though i was in a completely new place i've never been and have no context in being there that people could be so kind and opening still. I really got a good opportunity to just reflect on everything and contemplate, and talk to Dad.

I went to the bookstore, and picked up some good stuff: Miles and Me by Quincy Troupe,  Buddha of Infinite Light, and For One More Day by Mitch Albom, all for 75 percent off holla!

Stopped by an art exhibit that had mashed up cars.

The cool deal of the day so far for me though was going to Conchita's Restaurant. I stepped in and the epitome of a smalltown diner, but with that marfa feel. There were 7 tables with one left open for me. One table was a family of 8 fresh from church, with cowboy hats and bibles in tow, and boisterous conversation. Another table were 3 locals joking with the waitresses and laughing and chatting, and I listened intently fascinated by their accents and the fact that I was looking in on small town life in Texas! They looked exactly what I had imagined 3 middle aged Texas locals would look like as well. At  another tables were 3 multiracial friends, talking about art. 
Another table was 2 businessman speaking very officially about the airplane industry. The table behind me was a Mexican family, a dad and his two kids, relaxing on a sunday. The other table was a quiet couple who ate in silence and left non descriptly. I enjoyed an Asado burrito and an Iced Tea,  taking in the ebb and flow of this tiny little gem called Conchita's.

Heading into the midwest I have been in a way interested in the cultural makeup of everyone. Being in California I've always been graced with diversity, and have never really had to look at myself an outsider in a way. I think coming to Texas has really shown me a lot about my self perception in that I construct for myself generalizing that I'd prob get treated differently cause there aren't many asians in west Texas in small towns. But rather i learned I need to be less reactionary in life trying to react how I think people perceive me and rather be proactive, and show more of my friendly self to strangers so as that I can focus on the treatment of who i am rather that worrying about being treated on a perception that I have created myself. 

Also, I've learned that many times i find so much contentment in just being an observer of life, and seeing it in its natural state, I find so much beauty in that. Like being in Conchita's, I loved interacting with the waitresses, but I loved even more just taking in this life completely different from mine, observing it, and ultimately learning from it, and taking certain aspects that will further my growth. 

once we get a better internet connection ill be posting pics.

0 comments: