Being the only hip hop fan out of the roadies, I knew that if I wanted to catch a hip hop show, I was gonna have to go to myself, so I decided eff it, I'm gonna do it. It was an amazing time, and all of the artists from Strage Famous artists killed it.

I was blown away by two emcees that I haven't heard of before but just rocked the mic and controlled the crowd in their own ways.

First was Scroobius Pip, who is from the England Hip Hop duo Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip. Scroobius looked like the a younger Billy Connelly, had a sharp sense of humor, a commanding presence, and had a mystery that was captivating, as you could tell the crowd was trying to get a read on him. But his energy during songs, his props, and his ideas for his tracks were hella original, and he a steezee all of his own. Consider me a new fan!


Second was the emcee Sleep, the last opener before Sage Francis. He lost his voice the day of, and was drinking honey all day to try to get it back but couldn't quite. But nonetheless, when his tracks played he ripped with an energy like scroobius pip, but also with a tongue twisting style just ripping off lyrics like it was nothing. Just his skill on the mic is amazing enough to keep you bobbing your head, but at the same wondering how he's able to do it. Check out his album "Christopher" off Strange Famous Records.

Lastly, is the man himself, Sage Francis. There is nothing else to say about him but he is a certified Mic Killer! The man is a hip hop virtuoso with the whole package: connection with the crowd, dope lyrics, beats that just beckon you to bounce, a charisma when presenting himself, and most of all a very humble man, who truly cares about hip hop and the preservation of self expression and creativity. Once i get a chance I'll upload a couple songs from his performance that night. But here's a couple recommendations you should check out! Peace!

Makeshift Patriot


Lie Detector Test

0 comments: